The 25th November is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women and Children
followed by the global 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-based Violence: a time to reflect on, renew, amplify, and strategize to achieve commitments to eliminate violence against women.
The Municipality of Chania is organizing an Information and Awareness Day with focus on the theme: “Aspects of Domestic Violence”.
WHEN: 25th November 9.00 – 13.00
WHERE: Mikis Theodorakis Theatre (Exhibition area – Foyer), Old Customs House, Katechaki 8, Venetian Harbour, Chania
Admission: free but you are asked to register by calling the Department of Social Policy of the Municipality of Chania: 2821341693 and 2821341695 (working days and hours).
At the end of the conference a certificate of attendance will be given.
Specialist scientists dealing with this topic will present some of the most central issues of domestic violence, focusing primarily on women and children.
The aim of the conference is to highlight the social problem of domestic violence, to raise awareness and awaken the citizens for timely interventions in cases of violence, and how to do it.
The day is implemented in collaboration with the Juvenile Office of the Security Sub-Directorate of Chania, the Domestic Violence Office of the Chania Police Department, the Chania Bar Association, the Women’s Hospitality Hostel of the Municipality of Chania and the Family Support Center of the Community Center of the Municipality of Chania, focusing on violence in family.
“The fight for the defense and promotion of human rights, the elimination of all forms of violence and the assurance of equal opportunities for all people is continuous and non-negotiable”, commented the Regional Governor Stavros Arnautakis in a written statement.
PROGRAM OF THE DAY
– “Domestic violence-child abuse: forms of abuse, recognition of signs of an abused child and methods of treatment”, Iota Manthou, MSW Social Worker – Psychologist, Associate Head of the Fostering-Adoption Department EKKA
– “Domestic violence – the experience of the Chania Municipality Women’s Hospitality Hostel” by staff of the Hostel
– “Holistic intervention in the family” – Social workers and executives of the Family Support Center of the Community Center of the Municipality of Chania
– “The role of the juvenile prosecutor, interventions, solutions, proposals”, Christina Dimitriadou-Stergianou, Chania Juvenile Prosecutor
– “Imprison the violence, Free the soul”, Viglaki Eleni Hypastynomou 1st Head of the Office for Combating Domestic Violence AT. Chania
– “Rights of victims of domestic violence – Legal procedures” – Artemis Christopoulou, lawyer at the Supreme Court, – MDE of Political Sciences – Member of the Board of the Chania Bar Association – Responsible of the Human Rights Committee on issues of domestic violence.