Greek Independence Day is a national holiday celebrated annually in Greece on 25th March, commemorating the start of the War of Greek Independence in 1821.
This day is also one of the holiest days of the Greek Orthodox religion. It is the day of the Annunciation when the archangel Gabriel told Mary she would bear the Son of God.
The Municipality of Kissamos invites all the residents all the residents to participate in the celebration of this National Holiday.
Programme in detail:
FRIDAY 25 MARCH 2022
- 06:30 am The Philharmonic Orchestra of the Municipality of Kissamos ‘Irineos Galanakis’ will perform and a choir (residents of the city), will sing in the town. (*)
- 07:00 a.m. ringing of the church bells
- 07: 00-10: 00 a.m. Divine Liturgy at the Metropolitan Church of the Annunciation.
- 10:15 a.m. Official eulogy at the Metropolitan Church for the National Day and a speech on the importance of the anniversary by Mrs. Kaloudi Elisabeth, teacher of the 1st High School of Kissamos.
- 11:30 a.m. Memorial prayer at the memorial in Tzanakaki square, laying of wreaths, observance of a minute of silence, National Anthem by the Philharmonic of the Municipality of Kissamos & the Holy Diocese of Kissamos & Selinos.
- 12:00 a.m. Parade of students, clubs and associations in Skalidi Street. The parade will be accompanied by the Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Cretan dances by dance groups in Tzanakaki square. The dances will be accompanied by the musicians Kartsonakis Konstantinos (violin), Papadakis Ioannis (lute), and Kartsonakis Ioannis (lute).
(*) Note: meeting of the residents participating in the choir: at 06:30 am at the City Hall of Kissamos.
Mr. Batoudakis Michalis, Principal of the 2nd Primary School of Kissamos, is appointed Head of the Ceremony.
18:00 p.m. festive evening at the Metropolitan Church of the Annunciation