Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders, showing at the KIPO cinema in Chania.
From: Sat 22 Aug 2020
Until: Sun 23 Aug 2020
Screening starts: 21.00
Entrance: € 5,- , reduced €1,-
The film is about invisible, immortal angels who populate Berlin and listen to the thoughts of its human inhabitants, comforting the distressed. Even though the city is densely populated, many of the people are isolated or estranged from their loved ones. One of the angels, played by Bruno Ganz, falls in love with a beautiful, lonely trapeze artist, played by Solveig Dommartin. The angel chooses to become mortal so that he can experience human sensory pleasures, ranging from enjoying food to touching a loved one, and so that he can discover human love with the trapeze artist.
Inspired by art depicting angels visible around West Berlin, at the time encircled by the Berlin Wall, Wenders and author Peter Handke conceived of the story and continued to develop the screenplay throughout the French and German co-production. The film was shot by Henri Alekan in both colour and a sepia-toned black-and-white, the latter being used to represent the world as seen by the angels. The cast includes Otto Sander, Curt Bois and Peter Falk.
A story about love, desire and innocence, about the life we dream and the life we live.
The film is influenced by the poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke and, as noted in the end titles, is “dedicated to all the former angels, but mainly to Yasuziro (Ozu), François (Tryfo) and Andrei (Tarkovsky)”.
In 1998, the film was remade as “City of Angels”, starring Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan.
• Direction Award, Cannes International Film Festival 1987
• Direction Award, Bavarian Awards 1987
• Award for Best Director and Best Supporting Actor, European Film Awards 1988
• Gold Award for Best Picture, German Awards 1988
• Nominated for BAFTA Award for Best Non-English Language Film, BAFTA Awards 1989
• Nominated for Cesar, Best Foreign Language Film, Cesar Awards 1988
• Direction Award and Second Male Award, European Film Awards 1988
• Audience Award for Best Picture, Sao Paulo International Film Festival 1988
Directed by: Wim Wenders
Screenplay: Wim Wenders, Peter Handke, Richard Reitinger
Music: Jürgen Knieper
Starring: Bruno Ganz, Solveig Dommartin, Otto Sander, Curt Bois, Peter Falk
Country of production: Germany
Duration: 128 minutes
More information: https://www.facebook.com/events/279234606619785/