The unique coastal route of the Marathon race as well as the other routes of race events through the Venetian Harbour, in a landscape of incomparable beauty, is just one of the reasons why participants and visitors travel to the city of Chania from all corners of Greece and from abroad.
WHEN: 21st April, starting time: 08:00
WHERE: Start of the road race is the Municipal Market Square of Chania (Dimotiki Agora)
Description of the route:
The route of the Marathon includes the following streets:
C. Hatzimichalis – Chalidon- Kountourioti Coast – Kanaris Coast – Papanikolis Coast – Selinou – Georgakakidon – Bridge Kladissos – turn right, the route continues along the coast on the PEO Chania – Kissamos to 16.800m and about in height after the historical Maleme, route with reversal of runners – and the journey continues for about 16.800m along the beach parallel to the PEO road Kissamos- Chania – via the bridge Kladissou, continuing on the PEO Kissamos -Chania, right turn at Markou Mpotsari Road – Solomou – Sfakianakis – around Freedom Square – Iroon Polytechniou – El. Venizelos Square. Sophocles Venizelos – Finish in front of Municipal Market Square.
Finish Area: Municipal Market Square of Chania (Dimotiki Agora)
ROAD RACE 10km
Start Time: 09:00
ROAD RACE 5km
Start Time: 12:00
Road Race Start – Program
Race Event Office: 07:30 – 12:00
Start Marathon road race: 08:00
Start 10km road race: 09:00
Start 5km road race: 12:00
Start 2,5km road race:: 13:00
Awards – Music Program: 10:30 – 14:00
Awards (medal and diploma) will be awarded to the first three winners of the overall classification in Men and Women categories of each road race event (Marathon, 10 km Road Race, 5 km ). Cups will be awarded to the First male and First female runner of each Road Race. Special awards will be given to the First male and First female runner of the Marathon Road Race.
A commemorative medal will be given to all participants who will finish their road races.
Participation certificates will be available for downloading from the official website www.crete-marathon.gr, for all runners who will finish their race.
According to the Organizing Committee decision, special awards will be presented for the following categories:
Special award will be given to the first male and first female athlete of the 10 km road race, which, is dedicated to the Captain, Kostas Iliakis.
Winning group / team (The group with the most participants per race)
High School and Primary School (The School with the most participants per race)
In any case all competitors participate entirely at their own risk. The organizers are not responsible for anything that happens to the participants of all Road Races of the event, regarding HEALTH issues, which are due to lack of preventive medical check.
It is recommended to all participants to have recently undergone a medical examination, particularly a cardiology check for those over 35 years old.
During the Road Races, Medical Services and First Aid staff will be at the Start and Finish area and at selected points along the routes of all Road Races – in order to deal with any medical emergency, providing First Aid.
RACE SUPPORT & REFRESHMENT STATIONS
• Support stations will be located along the Marathon course, starting after the 5th kilometer.
• Bottled mineral water will be distributed to the participants at the Start and the Finish line as well as every 2,5km of the course, after the 5th km.
• Additionally, isotonic drinks will be distributed to the participants at the Start, the Finish, as well as every 5km of the course, after the 10th km.
• Along the route, after the 5th km and every 5km, facilities will be available for those accompanying the runners, from where runners can be provided with their personal drinks and supplements.
• Kilometer distance indicators will be located at every 5 km of the Marathon Road Race routes.
Kilometer distance indicators will be located at every kilometer of the 10km & 5 km Road Race.
RACE COMPLETION TIME LIMIT
• The time limit for the completion of the Marathon Race is 6:00 hours, (runners should have completed the marathon until 14:00) from the scheduled starting time at 8:00.
The time limit for the completion of the 10km Road Race is 1:30 hours, (runners should have completed the 10km Road Race until 10:30)
The time limit for the completion of the 5km Road Race is 1:00 hour, (runners should have completed the 10km Road Race until 13:00)
• Participants should be at least 18 years old.
• At each kilometer of the Marathon route, there will be mileage indication.
• Electronic control timing carpets will record the times at the start and the finish line.
• Event Timeline
• Τhe road races of the Crete Marathon Organization have been approved by the Hellenic Athletic Association(SEGAS), member of the IAAF(International Association of Athletics Federations) and they are carried out according to the regulations of IAAF- SEGAS “Competition Rules 2017-2018”, as these regulations have been announced and have been come into force from 1/11/2017.
NOTE: Anything that is not explicitly mentioned in the Official Documentation’s paragraphs of the Organization of Crete Marathon is subject to the Regulations of IAAF and SEGAS.