Friday 19 May 2017
– 10:00 Chania at Firkas Fortress Flag Raising by Maritime Museum .
– 13:30 Inauguration of Memorial New Zealand – Australian ANZAC at 42nd Tsikaliaria St.
Saturday 20 May 2017
– 11:00 Ceremony at Alikianos – Keritis Monument .
– 11:00 R.A.F Memorial at Maleme , Crete Veterans Wreath Laying .
– 15:00 Welsh Memorial , at Galatas , Crete Veterans Wrath Laying .
– 18:00 Souda Bay CWGC Ceremony ( memorial service, laying of wreaths ) .
Sunday 21 May 2017
– 11:00 Service at Metropolitan Church in Chania .
– 13:00 Ceremony at the German War Cemetery , at Maleme .
– 18:30 Closing Ceremony at Maleme Airfield – Battle of Crete Monument -,
Air Show by the F-16 Demo Team ‘Zeus’ and Paratroopers .
The Battle of Crete, 20th May 1941
The airborne invasion of Crete took place during WWII when German paratroopers landed at Maleme Airport near
Crete was the scene of the largest German Airborne operation of the war, and the first time in history that an
island had been taken by airborne assault.
Afterwards, Crete was dubbed the graveyard of the Fallschirmjager (German Parachutists); they suffered nearly
4000 killed and missing in the assault.
It was also the first time the Germans had encountered stiff partisan activity, with women and even children getting
involved in the battle.
Read all about the Battle of Crete at